Il santuario era costituito da quattro tempietti separati da intercapedini coperte, posti su un ampio podio. Tramite scale separate, disposte in asse con le porte di accesso di ciascuna delle aule di culto, si accedeva al pronao.

Il santuario era costituito da quattro tempietti separati da intercapedini coperte, posti su un ampio podio. Tramite scale separate, disposte in asse con le porte di accesso di ciascuna delle aule di culto, si accedeva al pronao.

I am Brescia

I am Brescia

It is the most beautiful square in Brescia and was inaugurated in 1433.  	It is dominated by the magnificent Renaissance Palace of the Loggia, nowadays the town hall. Its building began in 1492. The upper part was finished circa 1570 to the design of Jacopo Sansovino and Andrea Palladio. The splendid decorative sculpture that adorns the palace is in classical style.

It is the most beautiful square in Brescia and was inaugurated in 1433. It is dominated by the magnificent Renaissance Palace of the Loggia, nowadays the town hall. Its building began in 1492. The upper part was finished circa 1570 to the design of Jacopo Sansovino and Andrea Palladio. The splendid decorative sculpture that adorns the palace is in classical style.

Church of Saints Nazaro and Celso:  this 15th-century church was completely re-designed by Giuseppe Zinelli and Antonio Marchetti in the second half of the 18th century and given a monumental, classical style. Inside is to be found one of the most important paintings in the city, which should not be missed: the “Averoldi Polyptych” in the presbytery, owes its name to Altobello Averoldi, who commissioned it from Titian in 1520-22.

Church of Saints Nazaro and Celso: this 15th-century church was completely re-designed by Giuseppe Zinelli and Antonio Marchetti in the second half of the 18th century and given a monumental, classical style. Inside is to be found one of the most important paintings in the city, which should not be missed: the “Averoldi Polyptych” in the presbytery, owes its name to Altobello Averoldi, who commissioned it from Titian in 1520-22.

The present loggia was built to replace the previous one built between 1434 and 1436. The first stone was laid in 1492 with a solemn ceremony and the building work continued until about 1570, under the supervision of numerous architects: Tommaso Formentone, then Gasparo da Coirano, Andrea Palladio, Jacopo Sansovino, Galeazzo Alessi, Giovanni Rusconi and Ludovico Beretta.

The present loggia was built to replace the previous one built between 1434 and 1436. The first stone was laid in 1492 with a solemn ceremony and the building work continued until about 1570, under the supervision of numerous architects: Tommaso Formentone, then Gasparo da Coirano, Andrea Palladio, Jacopo Sansovino, Galeazzo Alessi, Giovanni Rusconi and Ludovico Beretta.

It was built at the end of the XI century on the ruins of the winter basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore. The central block is formed of two cylindrical parts of stone, one on top of the other; the circular ambulatory still has the original doorways, which are lower than the present street level, and has large arched windows, while the upper tambour has smaller windows and is relieved above by pilaster strips and small arches in brick, on which the roof rests.

It was built at the end of the XI century on the ruins of the winter basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore. The central block is formed of two cylindrical parts of stone, one on top of the other; the circular ambulatory still has the original doorways, which are lower than the present street level, and has large arched windows, while the upper tambour has smaller windows and is relieved above by pilaster strips and small arches in brick, on which the roof rests.

The convent of San Salvatore, later named after Santa Giulia (915) was founded at the wish of King Desiderius and his wife Ansa in 753 AD, and built on a particularly rich archeological site ( the remains of Roman domus have been found under the basilica of San Salvatore and in the kitchen garden of Santa Giulia.

The convent of San Salvatore, later named after Santa Giulia (915) was founded at the wish of King Desiderius and his wife Ansa in 753 AD, and built on a particularly rich archeological site ( the remains of Roman domus have been found under the basilica of San Salvatore and in the kitchen garden of Santa Giulia.

Since 1988 the Visconti Keep  houses the municipal Luigi Marzoli Arms Museum, one of the most important of its kind in Europe because of the wealth of XV and XVI  arms and armour and XVII and XVIII guns in its collections. The exhibits, of great historical and artistic interest, are set out in various sections according to type and period. there are about six hundred items on display offering significant examples of both Milanese arms production and that of Brescia, which boasts a…

Since 1988 the Visconti Keep houses the municipal Luigi Marzoli Arms Museum, one of the most important of its kind in Europe because of the wealth of XV and XVI arms and armour and XVII and XVIII guns in its collections. The exhibits, of great historical and artistic interest, are set out in various sections according to type and period. there are about six hundred items on display offering significant examples of both Milanese arms production and that of Brescia, which boasts a…

The ancient part of Brescia, Roman Brixia so-called since the first century BC because of the rocky, hilly ground on which it is built , is bounded to the north-east by Cidneo Hill (245m). Brich was the Celtic word meaning rocky summit, high places. And the hill with its wonderful view over the whole city, has represented the most important element in the town's history  from the time of the first settlements in the Bronze age up until the eve of the  XX century.

The ancient part of Brescia, Roman Brixia so-called since the first century BC because of the rocky, hilly ground on which it is built , is bounded to the north-east by Cidneo Hill (245m). Brich was the Celtic word meaning rocky summit, high places. And the hill with its wonderful view over the whole city, has represented the most important element in the town's history from the time of the first settlements in the Bronze age up until the eve of the XX century.

The church of San Salvatore constitutes one of the most important surviving examples of Early Medieval religious architecture still standing.  Recent investigations (1989) have helped shed light on the monument’s many building phases. A first Longobard place of worship, dating to the second half of the 7th century A.D., and consisting of a building with a T-shaped plan,  has been identified in the area formerly occupied by Roman housing.

The church of San Salvatore constitutes one of the most important surviving examples of Early Medieval religious architecture still standing. Recent investigations (1989) have helped shed light on the monument’s many building phases. A first Longobard place of worship, dating to the second half of the 7th century A.D., and consisting of a building with a T-shaped plan, has been identified in the area formerly occupied by Roman housing.

Pinterest
Cerca