Austrian Jager, Battalion Le Loup, 1800. The Austrians had nine dedicated Jager battalions. The jagers replaced the disbanded light infantry, but still retained their hechtgrau (pike-grey) uniforms and green crested helmets. The helmet was replaced as late as 1808 with the corsehut (Corsican hat). Only the first and second lines carried rifles, the third and fourth were armed with muskets.