Explore Alta California, California History, and more!

#74: Casa de Carrillo, San Diego

Title: Exterior of the Casa de Carrillo in Old Town Date: [ca. Contributing Institution: San Diego History Center (formerly San Diego Historical Society)

The last buildings of old Chinatown are seen in June 1949 at the corner of Sunset Boulevard and North Los Angeles Street. The buildings were torn down to make way for the Hollywood Freeway and Civic Center projects. (Los Angeles Times)

PHOTOS: Los Angeles Chinatown then and now

The last buildings of old Chinatown are seen in June 1949 at the corner of Sunset Boulevard and North Los Angeles Street. The buildings were torn down to make way for the Hollywood Freeway and Civic Center projects.

This postcard depicts three young girls who were members of the Verdugo family, 1911. The Verdugo family owned Rancho San Rafael, 36,403-acre Spanish land grant bordering the Los Angeles River and the Arroyo Seco in present day Los Angeles County. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

This postcard depicts three young girls who were members of the Verdugo family, 1911. The Verdugo family owned Rancho San Rafael, 36,403-acre Spanish land grant bordering the Los Angeles River and the Arroyo Seco in present day Los Angeles County. Glendale Central Public Library. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Drawing of the Bella Union, L.A.'s first hotel, as it appeared in 1858.

Drawing of the Bella Union, L.'s first hotel, as it appeared in Courtesy of the Photo Collection, Los Angeles Public Library.

13th and Pearl Street - The oldest known photograph of Boulder, taken in 1866 from 13th and Pearl Street, looking down at the north side of the 1200 block. The Colorado House hotel is in the foreground. West of the hotel are a pig sty, a small frame building, the two-story brick Dabney-Macky block (the only brick business building in Boulder when this photo was taken), and several more frame buildings.

Colorado House Hotel Between and street on the North side of Pearl. Photo taken in 1866 by Robert Lawrence Thompson

Pinterest
Search