View of the HfG Ulm building from the west, 1956. Photo Wolfgang Siol. The Ulm School of Design (Hochschule für Gestaltung Ulm). is now viewed as being second only to the Bauhaus as the most influential school of design. 1953–1968, new approaches to the design process were implemented within the departments. designed by Max Bill. one of the most progressive educational institutions of design in the 50s and 60s and a pioneer in the study of semiotics.