The Fortress of Varignano - Portovenere, Italy - was erected in 1724 under the rule of the Republic of Genoa. It was used initially as a storage area for goods and as a lazzaretto, or quarantine station for maritime travelers. In 1808, it was converted into a military station under the Napoleonic regime. Eventually it was also used as a high-security prison and a military hospital. It even hosted Italian general and nationalist Giuseppe Garibaldi, one of Italy’s “fathers of the fatherland”.