San Giorgio Dei Greci - Greek Trading Community - Venice, Italy - The Greek trading community had to obtain permission from the Doge to build San Giorgio dei Greci and its attached School. It was the only Greek Orthodox church in Venice. Designed by Sante Lombardo, the building was begun in 1539. It was consecrated in 1561 under the direction of Giannantonio Chiona. The cupola was added in 1571. The church is seen here from across the canal called the Rio dei Greci.